In Psychocybernetics, Maltz teaches that there are seven elements of a personality that attracts success.
The acronym S.U.C.C.E.S.S. summarizes these fundamentals.
- The first element is Sense of Direction, or having an objective to pursue. Direct yourself toward success every day by setting goals.
- The second element is Understanding when your fear or desire is altering the truth. Anxiety, fear, and desire cause us to misunderstand events, which leads to failure.
- The third element is Courage, which is taking calculated risks to make your goals happen. Don’t delay action until you are completely confident. Small steps in your desired direction are better than none.
- The fourth element is Charity, which consists of putting the problems and needs of people first. Caring for others is a hallmark of outstanding individuals.
- The fifth element is Esteem which is all about having a positive self-opinion. Tell yourself often that you can do whatever you think you want to do!
- Self-confidence comes after esteem. You can improve this one by remembering your past successes. Learn to accept and love yourself for who you are, and forget your past failures.
- And last we have Self-acceptance, which is learning to be okay with yourself, come what may.